April 08-18, 2011
The tenth mission of Arpan Global Charities was held at the Children’s Hospital Zhejiang University School of Medicine at Hangzhou in China from April 08-18, 2011.
A team of 35 volunteers included 3 anesthesiologists, a pediatric cardiac surgeon, a perinatologist, an OB/GYN, an orthopedic surgeon, a pediatric surgeon, 3 pediatric cardiologists, 2 pediatric intensivists, a neonatologist, a radiologist, a pediatric neurologist, 6 nurses, 5 pediatric residents, a cardiac sonographer, a pharmacist, a photographer, and 5 non-medical volunteers. In addition to all the volunteers from USA, there were many medical and non-medical volunteers from Hangzhou helped to make this mission another very successful mission of Arpan Global Charities.
Mission Hangzhou was predominantly an educational mission. There was a great deal of exchange of knowledge, ideas, procedural skills, and culture between members of the visiting team from USA and medical faculty members from Hangzhou Children’s Hospital at all levels. Our team members participated in daily rounds in the NICU, PICU, pediatric cardiology, neurology, orthopedic, pharmacy, radiology, and general surgery rounds. In addition to participation in daily rounds every day team members also gave didactic lectures. Team surgeons performed numerous complex cardiac, orthopedic and general pediatric surgeries. Our team perinatologist and obstetrician were involved in similar activities at the Woman’s Hospital at the medical school campus. Our pediatric residents had wonderful interaction with local pediatric residents and it was very unique and valuable experience for them. Our team visited an orphanage where we examined every orphan, gave treatment if needed to these children, distributed, clothes and toys to them.
At the end of our mission the faculty members from US participated and gave talks at the two days international symposium arranged by the Hangzhou Children’s Hospital “2011 The First West Lake International Forum on Advance Pediatric Care”
The hospitality by the local faculty was unsurpassable and second to none. This mission would not have been possible without hard work, commitment and dedication of Professor Lizhong Du, MD, President Children’s Hospital and Dr. Linhua Tan.
Following is the list of faculty members from US for Mission Hangzhou
- Dr. Nick Anas Pediatric Intensivist CHOC Children’s, Orange CA
- Dr. Anthony Chang Cardiologist CHOC Children’s, Orange CA
- Dr. Katie Berkowitz Perinatologist Long Beach Memorial Hospital, CA
- Dr. Lily Hou Anesthesiologist St. Joseph Hospital, Orange CA
- Dr. Frank Ing Pediatric Cardiologist, Baylor Children Hospital, TX
- Dr. Mustafa Kabeer Pediatric Surgeon CHOC Children’s, Orange CA
- Dr. Sudeep Kukreja Neonatologist, CHOC Children’s, Orange CA
- Dr. Vimal Kumar Radiologist, Kaiser Permanente, CA
- Dr. Francois Lalonde Pediatric Orthopedic, CHOC Children’s Orange CA
- Dr. Patricia Liao Pediatric Intensivist CHOC Children’s Orange CA
- Dr. Chandra Ramamoorthy Anesthesiologist Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital
- Dr. Mohan Reddy Pediatric Cardiac Surgeon, Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital
- Dr. Carrie Rickard Obst./Gyn Long Beach Memorial Hospital CA
- Dr. Afshin Shabanie Anesthesiologist St. Joseph Hospital, Orange CA
- Dr. Pierre Wong Pediatric Cardiologist UCLA Los Angeles, CA
- Dr. Ying Peng Pediatric Neurologist, CHOC Children’s, Orange CA